After your baby comes into the world, life is going to be far from relaxing. Pampering yourself is going to be far down on your to-do lists. That’s why it’s recommended that you pamper yourself before your little one arrives. Here’s a list of what you can do before your baby is due.
1) Babymoon: If this is your first baby, this time is going to be the last few weeks that you will be alone as a couple. Take a little vacation, called a ‘babymoon’ with your partner so you can reconnect before your baby comes. It can be a simple weekend getaway, or even a day trip to explore a new destination nearby.
2) Get a manicure & pedicure: You’re not going to think about how you look once your baby is here. Instead, you’ll spend your free time dressing your baby up in new clothes and accessories. So, before that time comes, head to the salon and treat yourself to a mani-pedi. However, when choosing a nail polish, make sure you opt for an organic one. If your salon doesn’t offer it, buy non-toxic nail polish in your favourite colour.
3) Yoga: Instead of giving in to the worry and anxiety of soon having a baby in your midst, relax and recharge with some prenatal yoga every morning. It will also help your baby move into position and will keep you in shape for your delivery. Remember, this is only recommended if your doctor approves of it.
4) A night out with the girls: In the first few weeks of your baby’s life, you’re not going to be able to catch up with your girlfriends. Even later, when you do go out with the girls, your mind will be thinking about your baby back home, leaving little room for fun. Use this time before your baby arrives to spend a few nights out in the town with your girls.
5) Enjoy some entertainment: Once your baby is here, you will be spending a lot of time sitting and nursing your baby, but it’s recommended that you use this time to concentrate on nursing and bond with your baby. So, pick up a book you’ve always wanted to read, or a show or movie that’s been on your watchlist.
6) Sleep: Experienced mothers will always advise this. Remember that once your baby is here, you’ll be up at odd hours of the day and night to feed your little one. Even though it’s recommended to sleep when your baby sleeps, it’s not always at a convenient time. It’s best to get your beauty sleep now.
7) Spend time with your mother: She’s got a lot of experience when it comes to raising a baby, more so if you have many siblings. Spend time with her and let her tell you stories of her pregnancy, delivery, breastfeeding and parenting. Other than getting you prepared, it will strengthen the bond that the two of you share.
8) Mentally prepare: Having a baby is exciting. However, it can also be nerve-wracking and scary. After all, you’re going to be responsible for a whole new life. Take this time during the last few weeks of your pregnancy to mentally prepare yourself for what’s coming. It will help you be relaxed and composed as you start the next chapter of your life.
While self-care during these last few weeks of pregnancy is important, remember that all you need to ensure is that you are happy, healthy, joyful, excited and ready to make new memories.