WHAT IS THE RIGHT TIME TO EXERCISE
The exercises can be performed as per your convenience, as long as you get them done.
1. Which trimester should one start exercising?
You need to check with your doctor before you begin exercising. If you have been exercising regularly and pregnancy is healthy then you can exercise all through pregnancy. Most doctors prefer to get the first proper ultrasound done which gives full detail of the baby, uterus and the placenta and then give the go ahead which is around week 12 or the start of the second trimester.
2. How many times can one exercise in a day?
Once a day is more than enough for a healthy pregnancy.
3. Should one eat before or after the exercise?
A light snack like a fruit before the workout and can eat something more substantial like a milk shake or a meal post the workout. Take sips of water in between exercises, to keep yourself hydrated.
4. Which is the suitable time for one to start squats during pregnancy?
Safely for a healthy pregnancy can be started around week 12 or the start of the second trimester.
5. What should be the time gap between a meal and exercise?
At least 2 hours after a main meal (lunch/dinner)
WHO CAN EXERCISE?
Any woman with a healthy pregnancy can exercise throughout her term. However, permission from the doctor is necessary to be cautious.
6. Is it okay for a patient with rheumatoid arthritis to exercise?
Yes – but only as per your comfort.
7. Can one exercise if the placenta is lying down?
No. If low lying placenta or placenta previa is best to avoid physical exercises.
8. Is it okay to exercise for a person with stitches? What kind of exercises are advisable?
If you have had a cervical stitch or cerclage then exercise is not allowed.
WHICH EXERCISE IS ADVISABLE
Walking, Squats, leg raises, butterfly, kegels and deep breathing are some of the easy and beneficial exercises that any of you with a healthy pregnancy can do.
9. Do exercises differ with each trimester?
No, you can do all the exercises all through pregnancy. As you build strength and stamina you can increase the number of counts.
10. Can one exercise on bed or need to do it by placing a mat on floor for exercises?
Some of the exercises can be done on the bed but the best would be to use a yoga mat on the floor. This is also non-slip so that chances of creating an injury are less.
11. Which exercises are suitable to help for normal delivery?
Walking is a great option. Over and above that from the webinar – squats, leg raises, butterfly, kegels and deep breathing.
12. What kind of exercises can be done after delivery?
Start with a walking program. Next ask your doctor to check abdominal muscles for diastasis recti. Once the doctor gives the go ahead then you can join a regular yoga or workout class about 3 months post birth.
13. Is walking good during pregnancy?
Yes – walking is a great cardio vascular exercise and if pregnancy is healthy it is recommended that you walk about 30 minutes at a brisk pace without getting breathless every day.
14. Does walking everyday prepare one for labor? Or is exercising still needed? How does exercise benefit over walking?
Both have their own benefits. I would recommend a combination of both. However, if you are not confident of exercising then you can only stick to walking.
15. Is it advisable to do Suryanamaskar during pregnancy?
The regular suryanamaskar cannot be done during pregnancy.
16. Is it safe to use a treadmill during pregnancy at slow speed?
Yes. You can use a treadmill. However, the speed has to be as per your comfort. Remember you should not be getting breathless and you should not have any risk of falling.
17. Is it okay to use staircase?
Yes – but slowly. And pause at every landing to catch your breath.
18. Are there any exercises that one can do even if advised for bed rest?
Upper body stretches can be practiced by women on bed rest. But seek permission from your doctor.
19. Is it okay to sit cross legged on floor or bed?
20. Is there any reason why sitting cross legged on chair not recommended?
It’s a myth
21. Is it okay to stand for long hours during pregnancy? i.e. 6-7 hrs a day
No take frequent breaks – sit and move around
22. Is it advisable to do office work while lying on bed?
No correct posture is very important
HOW TO RELIEVE PAIN
Pregnancy brings along a few discomforts which may or not be normal. It is always advisable to inform your doctor about the same. Posture correction and exercise relieves a lot of the discomfort and pain.
23. How to reduce tailbone pain to avoid difficulty sitting on any surface?
Ensure your sitting posture is correct and sit on a soft pillow
24. Is it normal to feel pain throughout the whole body and not be able to turn from left to right and vice versa?
25. How to relieve pain in the heel?
Gentle foot massage and soak your feet in warm water. Also avoid standing long hours and wear comfortable foot wear.
26. Is there any advice to reduce backache?
Posture correction and Exercise
27. Is it normal to have pain in the thighs during pregnancy? What kind of exercise can help relieve the pain?
28. What can one do to relive pain in foot as well as cramps in legs?
Drink plenty of water and ensure that you are doing your calf and ankle exercises as shown
29. Is having a slight pain at the bottom of the abdomen normal? How to relieve the same?
If it is like a stretch it is due to the uterus growing and it is normal.
30. Is it normal to get tingling and numbness of hands and legs while sleeping? Is there anything that one can do to avoid this sensation?
It is normal – wrist rotation exercises will help.
31. Is it normal to feel pain in the pelvic area?
Pressure in the pelvis as the baby grows is normal.