When you are getting ready for a baby or trying to conceive, there are various important things that must be kept in mind for next few months. Both of the parents have to take a lot of decisions at the time of pregnancy as well as delivery.
Decision such as doing different kinds of tests, vaccination is hiding about the birth methods and many others. Among all these, there is one more important thing that was we decided by the parents that is cord blood banking.
You must have heard about cord blood banking from your friends or relatives. Cord blood is the blood collected from the umbilical cord of the baby. Show at the time of pregnancy you must decide whether to Bank your baby’s cord blood or not. But before doing that you must know about certain facts of cord blood banking.
- As the umbilical cord that is the richest source of stem cells, so cord blood banking is done from the child’s umbilical cord. As these are undifferentiated cells, it can be preserved for a longer period of time.
- Umbilical cord blood stem cells are used for replacing the damaged cells of the body in case of any type of life-threatening diseases stem cells can become an option of treatment for the patient and their family members.
- Stem cells are the basic and undifferentiated cells, so they can be preserved for a lifetime. While retrieving the process of stem cell optimization is done to recover more than 99% of viable stem cells.
- Banking of cord blood does not cause any kind of risk to the mother of the baby. The reason behind is the collection of blood is done after the birth of the baby. Right after the delivery umbilical cord is clamped and cut then the cord blood is collected and kept in a Collection bag.
- Collection is an easy process and you can bring the kit Box with yourself at that time of delivery. The doctor for a phlebotomist will collect the blood and keep it in an x-ray free kit-box. It is then transported to the lab of the cord blood bank where it is further process for isolating the stem cells. After that is stem cells are cryopreserved in liquid nitrogen below -196 degree Celsius.
- Cord blood can be used for treating more than 80 diseases. Stem cells can treat diseases such as different kinds of blood disorders, immune diseases and cancer which are approved by clinical trials.
- Delay in umbilical cord clamping will not cause any kind of effect in the process of cord blood collection.
- Collected from the umbilical cord blood of the baby are known as a perfect match for the baby. In addition, the stem cell will also match with the siblings, parents and immediate family members.
- More than 35 thousands of stem cell transplants have been done for the world and nowadays it is being considered as most useful treatment.
- Treatment with stem cells had shown hundred percent of success rate in transplantation. In addition there are a less chances of infection and causing graft-versus-host disease to the recipient.
On a concluding note, I hope that the above information will be helpful for you to get an overview about cord blood banking. To know more about cord blood banking you can contact us on toll free number or chat with us.