Food is a very important thing for the pregnant lady. While you and your baby are fed with good food, potentially harmful food can pose a serious risk. It is therefore important to determine to what to eat when pregnant after seeing the second line on the pregnancy test.
Healthy food for pregnant women is vital for a healthy pregnancy. There are several things you should avoid as many different types of food can pose a threat to your child. We simplify your food choices by bringing you this list of what to avoid eating during pregnancy.
- Fish is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that must be part of your diet because it helps in the growth of the baby’s brain. You only need to be more careful when eating fish during pregnancy. A good idea is to eat fresh seafood during your pregnancy. which includes salmon, shrimp, sardines and trout. Also, try cooking fish at 145 ° F instead of raw fish. Cooking helps to destroy many potential seafood infections and toxins, that will protect you and your baby from any type of harm.
- When cooked perfectly, eggs can be almost irresistible. Many of us enjoy eating eggs that are soft or undercooked. They are definitely a big no – no during pregnancy, however, because they can be infected with salmonella, a type of bacteria that causes diarrhoea and vomiting. Other foods and desserts made from raw eggs, including custards and mousse, should also be avoided.
- Including meat in your diet is vital for a non-vegetarian mother, but it should be done with some care and restrictions as well. Raw meat contains Listeria bacteria and other parasites in uncooked meat such as Toxoplasma gondii, which can cause vomiting, damage to the fetus, as well as miscarriages. Make sure it is properly cooked whenever you eat meat. It is also advisable to use a thermometer to cook your own meat at home. Wash the meat with salt and water properly to ensure the removal of all bacteria.
- For your child’s proper development, it is extremely important that you consume milk on a daily and regular basis. It provides important nutrients such as minerals, calcium, and proteins to you and your baby. But make sure you only eat pasteurized milk. Unpasteurized milk may contain severe food poisoning pathogens. It is recommended that you avoid all kinds of non-pasteurized dairy products.
- There are papayas, pineapples and grapes in the fruits not to be eaten during pregnancy. In fact, papayas are on the list of natural foods in some cultures to avoid pregnancy and are thought to cause miscarriages. Unripe papaya can be particularly dangerous because it has some compounds that cause uterine contractions.
- Alcohol reaches the baby through the placenta without filtering. Through a condition called Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), this can cause your child not only miscarriage and stillbirth but also a range of lifelong physical and intellectual disabilities. So, it is best to avoid alcohol consumption during pregnancy entirely.
So, here’s a brief idea of the food that can harm the foetus if eaten during pregnancy. Before you decide to avoid any of the above mentioned foods in your pregnancy diet, it is advisable to consult your doctor. It will help you put together a balanced meal by consulting a nutritionist about the best pregnancy diet.