During pregnancy, you need to care more about your unborn baby. There are certain things that may lead to health hazard such as birth defects. The birth defect occurs in the babies when they are in the mother’s womb. It may cause due to any genetic condition or way of lifestyle. To keep your foetus healthy you must maintain the proper lifestyle, for that keep in mind about the following:
- Do not consume alcohol – Consuming alcohol is harmful to the pregnant woman and the baby that may cause Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS). This syndrome leads to abnormalities such as poor growth of the baby, congenital diseases and impaired development of the brain. If the expectant mother consumes alcohol then it gets absorbed in the bloodstream. It then passes through placenta and enters directly into the baby.
- Prohibit smoking – Before conceiving you must quit smoking as it may cause harmful effects on the unborn baby. It may cause premature, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), cleft lip or palate and low birth weight.
- Prevent infection – Infection can occur from uncooked foods, raw dairy products, etc. Any infection during pregnancy can lead to birth defects in the unborn baby. After birth, the baby might suffer from jaundice, hepatitis, the lesser size of the baby and intellectual disability.
- Take supplements – You must increase the intake of iron because if the amount of iron decreases then it may lead to abnormality in the functioning of the brain as well as the spinal cord.
- Healthy lifestyle – During pregnancy diabetes and obesity must be controlled because blood sugar level in the newborn babies becomes low. This may cause lethargy, lung or heart failure, heart diseases, etc.
- Sufficient fluid intake – Drink at least 6 to 8 ounce glasses of fluid per day to provide proper blood circulation in the body. This will help in passing the blood from the mother to the baby through the placenta.
- Get complete sleep – Ample sleep of 7 – 9 hours is very important for both you and your baby. However while sleeping try to sleep on your left side as it will improve the flow of blood to your body and your child.
- Do not take stress – Reducing your level of stress is very important for the improvement of growing baby. As much as possible a pregnant woman must avoid the stressful situation by the help of your spouse, family or friend.
Another important thing is that you must opt for your baby’s stem cell preservation. This will help in securing the health of the baby for a lifetime. The stem cells harvested from the umbilical cord blood of the baby and are preserved at -196°C. These stem cells can be retrieved when it is needed for treatment.